Friday, July 2

Left Behind

"The LORD is close to the brokenhearted and saves those who are crushed in spirit." Psalm 34:18

I have lots to look forward to:  a week of vacation, an upcoming conference on a topic I am very interested in, and spending lots of time with my son and other family.  While I know I am incredibly blessed and I am grateful for all that God has given me, I can't help but be sad. 

A dear friend of mine is moving away in less than a month.  Today was really the last day of work we are going to have together.  We got to know one another through work, but our friendship has gone far beyond a work friendship.  She has been a constant companion of mine.  We have shared so much of our lives with one another both personally and professionally.  There will be a void in my day-to-day life that I know cannot be filled and I am sad.

We will stay in touch with one another, I know, but I will miss getting to see my friend daily.  I will miss being able to just check in and touch base with her throughout the day.  I will miss knowing she is right around the corner.  I will miss hearing about what her family had for dinner or being able to share a silly story about my son.  I know we will still talk, but there is something about being face-to-face that makes it different.

I know God is with me as I go through this minor rough patch and that ultimately He will help me grow as a person through this experience.

I feel as though God is asking me to stretch myself in a way that I haven't been able to in the past to maintain and even deepen the level of friendship that we have even though it will be across the miles.  As I said before, I haven't succeeded in doing this with friends in the past, but with God's help I know that I can this time.

I also feel as though God is asking me to step outside my comfort zone, have an open mind, and form new and different friendships.  New friendships won't replace the friendship I have with my dear friend, but will enhance it.

This move is a great opportunity for my friend and her family and I know that it is a great opportunity for me as well.  I know that every time a door closes, a window opens.  My friend has found her window; I am searching for mine.

Lord, help my friend to know how much I care about her and let her know that won't change even though we will be in different cities.  Help me to be strong for my friend as her life is being turned upside down and she embarks on new and different adventures.  Help me to focus on all the benefits of my friend's move for both her and me.  Guide me in my friendship with her and new friendships that You have waiting for me on the horizon.  Thank You for being near me in my time of sadness and always helping me to find the silver lining.

No comments:

Post a Comment